(navigation image)
Home Animation & Cartoons | Arts & Music | Community Video | Computers & Technology | Cultural & Academic Films | Ephemeral Films | Movies | News & Public Affairs | Prelinger Archives | Spirituality & Religion | Sports Videos | Television | Videogame Videos | Vlogs | Youth Media

View movie

item imageitem imageitem imageitem image

View thumbnails
Run time: 0:10:57

Play / Download (help[help])

(45.5 M)512Kb MPEG4
(48.0 M)Ogg Video
(315.1 M)MPEG2

All Files: HTTPS Torrent (2/0)
[Public Domain]

All the Way Home (1957)

something has gone horribly wrong 8-p
Prefer flash? · Embed · Questions/Feedback?

Demonstrates in a positive fashion that integrated communities can and do work. Exposes the property value fallacy and makes an appeal to reason and democratic principles.

This movie is part of the collection: Prelinger Archives

Production Company: Dynamic Films, Inc.
Audio/Visual: sound, b&w

Creative Commons license: Public Domain

Individual Files

Movie Files MPEG2 Ogg Video 512Kb MPEG4
all_the_way_home_1.mpeg 315.1 MB
48.0 MB
45.5 MB
Image Files Animated GIF Thumbnail
all_the_way_home_1.mpeg 251.0 KB
8.8 KB
Information FormatSize
all_the_way_home_1_files.xml Metadata [file]
all_the_way_home_1_meta.xml Metadata 1.1 KB
all_the_way_home_1_reviews.xml Metadata 7.1 KB
Other Files Archive BitTorrent
all_the_way_home_1_archive.torrent 17.3 KB

Average Rating: 3.86 out of 5 stars3.86 out of 5 stars3.86 out of 5 stars3.86 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: donwert - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - July 5, 2010
Subject: Far Too True
One of the reviewers pretends not to know what the point of this film is. Another claims to have seen neighborhoods deteriorate becuase blacks moved in. The truth is that, in big cities all over the country then and throughout the 60s and 70s, "white flight" was a real phenomenon, aided and abetted by unscrupulous real estate agents---overwhelmingly white--called "blockbusters". They would find a black family, buy a home in an all-white neighborhood, sell the home to the black family, then wait for panic to set in. As whites dumped their homes on the market, these agents would buy them and then sell them at big mark-ups to other black families. As prices fell over time, middle class blacks were replaced by lower-class blacks and, finally, by poverty-stricken blacks without jobs
or stable living arrangements. Thus did wide swaths of urban America become ghettoized. But note that the problem isn't skin color. It's the REACTION to skin color and the loss of common sense by whites. The degradation is the product of CLASS, not race---with racism as the trigger.
This is a bold film for 1957, holding a mirror up to the gut-level bigotry the blockbusters counted on. If you look at a metro area like Detroit, where 90% of the city is black and 90% of the suburbs are white, you can see the problem is still with us.

Reviewer: Dad_da_Man - 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars - April 14, 2007
Subject: Horror of humanity
I know this happened, and to some degree it still does, but to see how this couples long time friends and neighbors treat them just for allowing someone to view their home which is for sale, is shocking to see. The ignorance and fear of those times, even though still echoing today, are hard for me to watch without feeling great anger that anyone would do this.

Reviewer: junya - 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars - December 30, 2006
Subject: Re: What was the point of this film?
Prep2001 wrote:

> Either I missed something, or else the last part of this clip got
> lost. It ends very abruptly without any resolution of the story. So
> what was the point?

This is part one of a two-part series. Part two is at:

http://www.archive.org/details/all_the_way_home_2

Reviewer: Prep2001 - 2.00 out of 5 stars2.00 out of 5 stars - November 26, 2006
Subject: What was the point of this film?
Either I missed something, or else the last part of this clip got lost. It ends very abruptly without any resolution of the story. So what was the point? The last thing we see is a bucket of black paint thrown on the For Sale sign and the little girl. Is this film pro-racism or anti-racism?

Political correctness aside, I've seen the "white flight" phenomenon four times in my life, and in three of the four cases the neighborhoods in question were converted within 10-20 years from safe, well-maintained places to filthy, crime-ridden hellholes. Is this film warning us to protect "white" (i.e. European) culture or speaking against the fear of losing it? I honestly don't know.

Reviewer: ERD - 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars - November 22, 2006
Subject: If only...
Unfortunately, neighborhood segregation has not gone away. A lot of the fears expressed in this film by the characters still holds true and has stopped social progress. This didactic script seems realistic at times and then gets idealistic. It is well acted and directed, however.

Reviewer: Spuzz - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - February 18, 2005
Subject: NIMBY Wimpys.
Outstanding movie detailing a community's concern about "one of them" moving into their neighborhood. Being that this film was made around 1957, "them" are negros. When the gossips see that a black family is about to move in, they run off into their houses to call The People Who Will Listen to Them about this sudden turn of events, to emphasize this, FURIOUS dialing, with the mike turned up HIGH, is heard. VERY funny. Anyways, soon, the seller of the house is being shunned by the community. He can't see what the fuss is about, and he soon finds out who his true friends are in the community.
SUPERBLY acted and told, All The Way Home is right up there with Films that could have been preachy but they weren't, this had my attention from beginning to end, and is a MUST SEE on this site!

Reviewer: Christine Hennig - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 29, 2003
Subject: All the Way Home (Full Film)
Remember the 50s, folks? Remember what a better, simpler time it was? Remember how people lived in nice safe neighborhoods where it was safe for children to play? Unless, of course, you show the house you are selling to an African-American family. Then tongues will wag, telephone harassment will ensue, and your grandchild will get a can of black paint thrown at her from a moving car. Ah yes, racism. That was a part of the 50s, too. This film about housing discrimination serves as a reminder that it really wasn't so long ago that most white people were sure that the presence of a single black family in their neighborhood would turn it into a slum, realtors made under-the-table agreements with banks to turn down mortgages from African-Americans who wanted to move into the "wrong" neighborhood, home sellers were harassed for even showing their houses to persons of the wrong skin color, and it was all because of ignorant stereotypes on the order of "they smell" or "I've got two daughters to protect!" One interesting point the film makes is the implication that the local realtor may be stirring up racial fears in order to drum up more business. It also shows how courageous you had to be to buck this tide. An excellent, intelligently-made document of a 50s social problem that is worth watching now, lest we allow ourselves to slip back into those old ways.
Ratings: Camp/Humor Value: N/A. Weirdness: **. Historical Interest: *****. Overall Rating: *****.